Soul Searching ☆☆☆

Saturday, February 11, 2006

Live the Moment

As I continue to meet with different people for my dissertation research, it provides me with myriads of things to think about, starting from what it means to be Japanese, stigma attached to counseling/therapy, differences between Japanese and American cultures, and how I am perceived as Japanese from Japanese who are older and have been living in the US for a long time, just to list a few. This process of data collection has become something that is more difficult emotionally than physically/logistically, where I seem to tire myself out by thinking about all the things that get stirred in me as I encounter and interact with different people.

For the last week or so, I have definitely become more of a night owl than anything, where I am much more at ease at night, and I am barely awake in the morning hours. My waking hours have become more like 12pm to 3am as opposed to 9am to 12am, which certainly makes things difficult at times. I would have to change this pattern soon.

It's snowing for the second time this season in New York, and it was actually nice to see and feel the snow fall. I actually like snow days, especially when I do not have any plans to go outside! It may sound weird, but I like waking up in the middle of the night with a sound of snow coming down (does everyone understand what I am talking about?) I find that when the snow is falling, everything else is so quiet, and it provides this crystal clear quietness that does not exist in any other weather conditions. Since NYC is expecting a blizzard tonight, I am guaranteed to have this quietness for the entire night!

I watched the first half of a Japanese drama created by Paralympic organization. The story is about a 20-year-old guy who was hoping to be elected as an Olympic short-race runner falls down during the selection race, and is later on informed by his physician that his brain veins are not strong enough to sustain such physical activities as running (his fall had to do with one of his veins rapturing). He decides to quit running all together, not explaining his reasons to anyone. One day, he meets a girl who is now blind, but back when she herself was a short-race runner until she lost her sight. He decides to become her eyes, in exchange for her to be his legs, hoping to become Paralympic runner. The drama has many other chracters with their own stories of becoming "handicapped," and it portrays the complexity in terms of how individuals deals with their handicaps, how others perceive them, and how they live with their handicaps. As someone who recently had to make a life-altering decision of where I would like to be next year for internship, it provided me with a lack of depth in which I had to come to my decision. Granted, it still was a difficult choice for me, and I did not and do not take it lightly of the outcome that follows. However, watching this drama made me think of life lessons that some individuals are dealing with, and what I take for granted (walking, running, seeing, hearing, etc.) in my daily life. It also reminds me of what I can do with my life, because of all the privileges I have as a healthy individual. I am looking forward to watching the last half of the drama, but so far, the lesson learned is *Live the moment!*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home