Coincidence or Meant to be?
I have been spending a lot of time appearing at different social events, meeting new people (even at Starbucks, for that matter) for my dissertation data collection. As I examine each encounter I have had, some that has already developed into something more than just initial encounter, and others that have so far remained at the initial stage, I cannot help but to wonder to what extent these encounters are pure coincidence, or if they were meant to happen.... What do you think?
I have always believed in things happening for a reason, whatever it may be. At times, it may not be the best thing that happened, and it may even be quite firghtening, anxiety-provoking, and brings the feelings of "this is the worst thing in the world!" However, I have come to accept these incidents, encounters, and relationships as learning experiences in which I benefitted, and that it creates and shapes who I am now, and strongly hope that they lead me to many more of meaningful encounters and life experiences in the future.
So I guess I tend to lean more towards believing or thinking of any encounters as "meant to be" rather than "coincidence." Now, the question is, is it just the beginning part in which we first meet someone that is "meant to be" or the course of events that follow after meeting that person is somewhat predestined as well? To what extent things happen because things just fell into places at the right time and right place, and to what extent it is just no matter what the timing is, if things were meant to happen then they are going to happen eventually?
I often feel that I encounter events that make me realize there is something other than just my choice or decision that brought me to a particular event. For example, I recently contacted an old friend of mine Judith to see if I can meet with her while three of our mutual friends will be visiting me in NYC. She got back to me while they were in town, and although we were not able to spend much time with one another, I found out that she actually moved to NYC recently is now apartment hunting! I had been somewhat out of touch with her for the past 3 years or so, and I felt like me trying to get in touch with her was not just a small decision I just made, but I was somehow meant to do it last week so that I can actually be reconnected with her. Another example is the mere fact that I have ended up in NYC. This is the city that my family moved to, when we first came to the U.S., although things have changed in the last 15 years, it's filled with old and new memories for me. I definitely have a strong sense of belonging with this city that is hard to explain with words.
Ever since I have been matched to Pace Univeristy Counseling Cener for predoctoral internship, I have seen many of these things happen to me, which at some points, I have definitely threw up both of my arms and said "oh right, I get it! I was not meant to leave NYC!" and other times, it leaves me speechless with a thought of "wow! this is just amazing!"
Unfortunately, my next few weeks do not involve much of socializing (unless of course, I am invited to 90s dance party by Kevin, or my own birthday celebration), but I am hoping that I can keep the spirits up of how amazing it is to meet new people, and being able to feel after each encounter that I am blessed.
I have always believed in things happening for a reason, whatever it may be. At times, it may not be the best thing that happened, and it may even be quite firghtening, anxiety-provoking, and brings the feelings of "this is the worst thing in the world!" However, I have come to accept these incidents, encounters, and relationships as learning experiences in which I benefitted, and that it creates and shapes who I am now, and strongly hope that they lead me to many more of meaningful encounters and life experiences in the future.
So I guess I tend to lean more towards believing or thinking of any encounters as "meant to be" rather than "coincidence." Now, the question is, is it just the beginning part in which we first meet someone that is "meant to be" or the course of events that follow after meeting that person is somewhat predestined as well? To what extent things happen because things just fell into places at the right time and right place, and to what extent it is just no matter what the timing is, if things were meant to happen then they are going to happen eventually?
I often feel that I encounter events that make me realize there is something other than just my choice or decision that brought me to a particular event. For example, I recently contacted an old friend of mine Judith to see if I can meet with her while three of our mutual friends will be visiting me in NYC. She got back to me while they were in town, and although we were not able to spend much time with one another, I found out that she actually moved to NYC recently is now apartment hunting! I had been somewhat out of touch with her for the past 3 years or so, and I felt like me trying to get in touch with her was not just a small decision I just made, but I was somehow meant to do it last week so that I can actually be reconnected with her. Another example is the mere fact that I have ended up in NYC. This is the city that my family moved to, when we first came to the U.S., although things have changed in the last 15 years, it's filled with old and new memories for me. I definitely have a strong sense of belonging with this city that is hard to explain with words.
Ever since I have been matched to Pace Univeristy Counseling Cener for predoctoral internship, I have seen many of these things happen to me, which at some points, I have definitely threw up both of my arms and said "oh right, I get it! I was not meant to leave NYC!" and other times, it leaves me speechless with a thought of "wow! this is just amazing!"
Unfortunately, my next few weeks do not involve much of socializing (unless of course, I am invited to 90s dance party by Kevin, or my own birthday celebration), but I am hoping that I can keep the spirits up of how amazing it is to meet new people, and being able to feel after each encounter that I am blessed.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home