Soul Searching ☆☆☆

Sunday, April 30, 2006

MoMA ~Edward Munch~

Nonsense and his two female friends' visit continued with a visit to MoMA. They are currently having a special exhibit on Edward Munch. Although what we wanted to see originally was Pixar exhibit, that was already over... sigh... Anyway, we started walking around from special architecture exhibit, which made me think of my friend Chriscious, who is a landscape architect in London (miss you very much big guy!) I enjoyed looking at all the miniature cities and buildings (although the security guards at this exhibit were a little too anal, and almost yelled at my friend Nonsense. For those of you who know him, you can understand how ridiculous and not called for that is... We are pretty well behaved adults, right? Maybe not a few years ago, but we certainly are now ;) )

Then, onto Edward Munch's exhibit. His life story was fascinating, with some mental breakdown like any other artists. What was intriguing was that after his mental breakdown and the subsequent voluntary hospitalization, his drawings became much more concrete and less of his psychotic manifestation. I definitely liked the drawings of pre-hospitalization (not that I want artisits to be in the psychotic phase all the time). One of the paintings that really fascinated me were three paintings he did on *kisses.* It was a scene of a man and woman passionately kissing, but the borders between the two were fuzzy, almost melting. It just really spoke to his emotional experience with other people. And of course, maybe with whomever he was in love with.

After MoMA, we went to Chinatown and had a fulfilling meal of Dim Sum. Nonsense and I had a very funny but also challenging encounter with a tart shop casher (I still have that $8 discount coupon that I somehow feel I won't be able to use). Although we tried, we could not go to the Auto Show that Nonsense was very much looking forward too... (I felt so badly... let's go next year, okay? First thing in the morning and we will take a public transportation!)

I am going to be busy this summer until I finish my diswsertation but I definitely want to continue taking advantage of going to museums! Anyone interested in tagging along?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home