Soul Searching ☆☆☆

Monday, August 27, 2007

New Beginning

After the last post, I have come to a decision to move across the country (or almost) to Madison, Wisconsin to accept a visiting assistant professor position. The description of position is absolutely amazing with everything I can hope for as my first full-time job. I have moved into a new apartment which is conveniently located with an easy commute to school by bus, surrounded by shops and restaurants. My landlord and his family are wonderful, and have been a great support during this process. My shipment from NYC has not been delivered yet so I have been sleeping on the newly installed carpet with a blanket and a pillow, but I am making the best of the situation. My first day at work so far has been smooth as well. I have not been able to receive my photo I.D. yet, which will provide me with email account, free bus pass, etc., but all in all, I am doing the best I can in getting acquainted to my workplace.

One of the things I absolutely enjoy as I get acquainted to a new city/town is to find my favorite spots. So far, I have find quite a few already in Madison.

1) Eclectic movie theater: Apparently, this place was created by Robert Redford, and it has a very comfortable atmosphere with Peets Coffee and Tea attached to it with free wireless connection. For someone like me who does not have internet access yet at home is a great hide-out, and they show independent and documentary movies.

2) Great Dane's Pub: Usual pub with wide selection of beer and burgers. This may seem like an odd choice for favorites, but what I like about it is being able to sit at a bar by myself, eat, drink, and do whatever (watch sports, read, work, etc.)

3) Street Vendors on campus: There are vendors on campus serving variety of cuisine, and my favorite so far is Thai. Their green curry is very tasty and spicy. It's filling and only $5.

In writing all these things, I am coming to realize that I am making a great progress in adjusting to this new town. I was concerned that I would start missing everything I have left in NYC more. However, I am realizing that life is too short to keep on molding over the past, and I would rather look forward to what may be ahead of me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home